Do you remember when Kobe Bryant and Alan Iverson wore leggings under their shorts? They understood that wasn’t just about looking cool. Tights can boost athletic performance and they certainly make running in the wintertime more comfortable.
What are the benefits of the best men’s running tights? For one, they reduce friction and make for a more aerodynamic physique. This can make you faster.
When you wear tights while running, they help wick away sweat and reduce distractions, keeping you agile and focused. Moreover, compression may reduce muscle damage and speed up recovery by improving blood flow.
What should you look for when choosing running tights? Let’s look at the most important features.
Fabric: The usual materials used in running tights are polyester, nylon, elastane, and spandex (also called Lycra). Polyester is more durable than nylon but less breathable and potentially not as soft. Spandex and elastane make the fabric elastic. Check out the percentages of each material and you’ll discover which leggings are stretchier.
Care: Are the tights machine-washable and/or dryable? If not, are you willing to do the work to hand wash them? If they have a high percentage of nylon, they may pill more because nylon is less abrasion-resistant.
Pockets: Some running tights have an interior pocket on the waistband or exterior pockets – possibly holster-style – for a phone. If you think you’ll be using the pockets, check the measurements to make sure they hold what you want to bring, or else you’ll probably want to wear shorts over top of the tights.
Do you need to wear shorts over tights? Some guys feel a little self-conscious about wearing tight leggings without an extra layer. The only downside is that shorts disrupt the streamlined profile that tights provide.
|The best men’s tights for running||Highlights|
|Roadbox Men's Compression Pants||
|DEVOPS Men's Compression Leggings||
|adidas Men's Own The Run 3/4 Tights||
|Under Armour Men's ColdGear Leggings||
|Nike Men's Core Dri-FIT Phenom Elite Tight Black||
|CompressionZ Compression Pants Running Tights||
|New Balance Men's Accelerate Tight||
|CW-X Mens Endurance Generator High Performance Compression Tights||
|Runhit Running Leggings||
- 1 Best Men’s Running Tights in 2022
- 1.1 Roadbox Men’s Compression Pants
- 1.2 DEVOPS Men’s Compression Leggings
- 1.3 adidas Men’s Own The Run Tights
- 1.4 Under Armour Men’s ColdGear Leggings
- 1.5 Nike Men’s Core Dri-FIT Phenom Elite Tight Black
- 1.6 CompressionZ Compression Pants Running Tights
- 1.7 New Balance Men’s Accelerate Tight
- 1.8 CW-X Mens Endurance Generator High Performance Compression Tights
- 1.9 Runhit Running Leggings
- 2 Conclusion
Best Men’s Running Tights in 2022
Roadbox Men’s Compression Pants
If you’re not sure where to start with running tights, this brand is affordable, popular, and machine-washable. They come in colors like gray, black, white, and blue (there’s even a camouflage pattern).
The fabric is 88% polyester and 12% spandex so it clings tightly to the legs and provides light compression. The trick is choosing the right size, so pull out your measuring tape.
There are six sizes total from small to 3X. Reviewers say the size chart is spot on, so if you match up your measurements, you’ll get a snug fit. Fortunately, the spandex provides good freedom of movement and the tights aren’t hard to pull on. However, they go a little transparent when the fabric is stretched tightly, like during a squat.
Lastly, each pair has a flexible elastic waistband and flat-lock seams to prevent chafing. If you’d like to have compression pants with pockets, be sure to choose the correct version.
- Affordable, popular brand of running tights in sizes small to 3X
- Light compression and freedom of movement
- Available in a variety of colors and with or without pockets.
- Fabric may become a little see-through when stretched
DEVOPS Men’s Compression Leggings
These men’s running tights are similar to the ones above with a polyester-spandex blend that wicks away moisture. But reviewers say they provide little to no compression beyond a snug fit.
The lightweight fabric protects against sunburn with a UPF 50+ rating and they make for a light base layer in cool weather.
Choose from various colors in sizes small to 2XL. Some styles have pockets and others don’t. The good news is that they are machine-washable. The bad news is that the fabric becomes sheer when stretched.
- UPF 50+ solar protection
- Available in various colors from small to 2XL
- Styles with or without pockets
- Little to no compression
- Sheer fabric is not ideal for exercising without shorts
adidas Men’s Own The Run Tights
What about men’s running tights with zipper ankles? We like the Adidas tights with zipper bottoms and a drawstring closure at the waist. What’s more, they have reflective detailing on every side to keep you visible on roadside early morning runs.
The machine-washable fabric consists of 83% polyester, 17% elastane with patented AEROREADY technology that absorbs moisture. Just as important, the material isn’t see-through so you don’t need additional layers on top.
Reviewers say the tights are very comfortable and fit like a glove. They have a rear sweat-proof pocket, too.
- Patented moisture-absorbing fabric fits like a glove and isn’t see-through
- Drawstring closure and zipper bottoms (on the full-length style)
- Reflective detailing keeps runners visible in low light
- Avoid using fabric softener when washing these tights as it may damage the material
Under Armour Men’s ColdGear Leggings
Under Armour makes some of the best men’s running tights for winter. Although the fabric consists of 87% polyester, 13% elastane, it’s woven in a double layer with a brushed interior. The inside wicks up moisture and sends it to the outside where it quickly evaporates. That’s the main reason why these are a smart choice for men’s thermal running tights as they won’t let your sweat make you cold.
Happily, the material has anti-odor technology, it’s machine-washable, and not at all transparent. The tights feature a 4-way stretch weave that moves naturally in every direction. Still, they provide some compression. What’s nice is that the gusseted design takes care of the package without chafing.
Finally, there is a reinforced pocket on the right side that’s large enough for most smartphones.
- Winter running tights with a double layer that wicks away moisture
- Light compression and 4-way stretch
- Anti-odor technology and machine-washable fabric
- Reinforced pocket for a phone
- Made for winter – but Under Armour also offers running tights for summer
Nike Men’s Core Dri-FIT Phenom Elite Tight Black
This pair of Nike’s men’s tights is designed for spring and fall. It’s a fitted style without compression. But these technical tights might become your favorite running companions because of how comfortable they are.
The 75% polyester, 25% spandex blend is extremely breathable, especially since the tights have ventilated zones in the places that get hottest. There’s a low-profile waistband that won’t get in your way. Plus, there is a lined back pocket to keep your phone dry while each hip has a drop-in pocket for keys and cards.
- Well-ventilated, comfortable tights made from a polyester/spandex blend with ventilated zones
- 3 pockets (including one that’s sweat-proof)
- Designed for spring and fall temperatures
- No compression for faster recovery
CompressionZ Compression Pants Running Tights
Based on the product name, you’d expect these tights to offer compression. Indeed, they do, based on the fact that they fit quite snug and are challenging to pull on. The fabric is 85% nylon, 15% spandex, which feels sleek and slippery to the touch.
Although you can wear them alone, it appears that many reviewers prefer them as a base layer. Honestly, we weren’t as thrilled with this pair as we were with other brands. But at least they go up to a 5XL size (up to 46-inch waist). Also, you can get them in a variety of colors and patterns including camouflage.
- Available in various colors and patterns in sizes up to 5XL
- 85% nylon, 15% spandex is sleek and works well as a base layer
- Seem to compress similar to how pantyhose fit
New Balance Men’s Accelerate Tight
New Balance understands what runners need. They’ve made these tights useful year-round because they wear well as a base layer in winter and perform perfectly on their own in warmer weather.
The fabric is 13% spandex, 87% recycled polyester. It ends up being a fast-drying material that hugs the body without bunching up. It’s also durable and machine-washable. Reviewers say it does a good job of managing odor.
The drawstring waistband hides a pocket for keys or cards. We also appreciated the ankle zippers with reflective detailing.
- Recycled polyester and spandex blend is durable, machine-washable, and fast-drying
- Resists odors
- Wearable year-round
- Hidden pocket and ankle zippers for convenience
- No compression, but very easy to pull on and off
CW-X Mens Endurance Generator High Performance Compression Tights
If you want true compression tights for running, check out this pair with EXO-WEB technology. If you line up the webbing properly when you pull on the tights, the 2-way stretch panels support the knees, hips, and lower back with graduated compression.
What’s more, the tights don’t feel stiff or bulky. They are imminently breathable and the 70% polyester, 30 % spandex blend sucks moisture away from the skin at a rapid rate. It provides UV protection, plus it’s machine-washable.
We were also glad to see that there is a pleasing selection of colors and there are sizes for extra tall people with up to a 47-inch waist.
- True compression tights with support webbing
- Support the knees, hips, and lower back
- Large and tall sizes plus a nice selection of colors
- Fabric is machine-washable, moisture-wicking, and provides UV protection
- Take a little time and effort to pull on and remove
Runhit Running Leggings
Let’s wrap up the reviews with budget-priced running tights. They are described as leggings with compression, but it’s more of a body-hugging fit with plenty of stretch. On the bright side, they are machine-washable and available in several different colors and patterns.
Furthermore, they have holster pockets on either hip so you don’t have to leave home without the essentials.
The material is 12% spandex, 88% polyester, with flatlock seams that don’t chafe. Reviewers say the tights are comfortable and do not bunch up or pinch. They tend to dry quickly as well.
We were about to complain about the available sizes, but then discovered the 3XL goes up to a 46-inch waist. The manufacturer recommends choosing the correct size for a skintight “compressing” fit, or a size up for simply fitted. At any rate, the tights are covered by a risk-free guarantee.
- Inexpensive running tights with a nice selection of colors and patterns
- Spandex/polyester blend with flatlock seams stretches and doesn’t bunch
- Holster pockets on either hip
- Come with a guarantee for a replacement or refund
- Do not appear to offer true compression
Whether you just committed to running regularly or you’re a dedicated athlete, the best technical tights can improve your performance. We hope our reviews helped you find what you need today.
If you’re pleased with your new running tights, we’d love to hear what you think of them. Feel free to drop us a comment below.