It’s pretty common to have fibroids that fluctuate with the menstrual cycle. Nodular breast tissue swells right before menstruation and it can be painful. Wearing a normal bra can feel like torture. And sadly, the very things (caffeine and fatty foods) that we consume to compensate for fatigue and cravings aggravate this condition (1).
If you’ve noticed that your chest is extra sensitive around your period, or if you feel lumps or a ropey texture, please check with a doctor to confirm that it’s not something more serious. They might recommend changing your diet, taking anti-inflammatories or adjusting hormones, boosting your vitamin E intake, or supplementing with evening primrose oil (2).
A smart doctor will also suggest switching to a more supportive bra. That doesn’t necessarily mean an underwire because it might put too much pressure in the wrong places. The best bra for fibrocystic breasts is adjustable, soft, and supportive to accommodate changes during the month. We reviewed the most comfortable bras below:
|The best bras for fibrocystic breasts||Why we love them|
|CYDREAM Women Post-Surgical Bra Zip Front||
|Playtex Women's 18-Hour Silky Soft Smoothing Wireless Bra||
|Bali Comfort Revolution Wireless Bra||
|Warner's Women's Easy Does It Underarm-Smoothing Comfort Bra||
|Glamorise Women's Full-Figure No-Bounce Wire-free Sports Bra||
|Fruit of the Loom Women's Front Closure Cotton Bra||
|Calvin Klein Women's Invisibles Comfort Seamless Bralette||
|Just My Size Women's Pure Comfort Plus-Size Bra MJ1263||
|Kindred Bravely Extra-Soft Organic Cotton Sleep Bra||
- 1 Best Bra for Fibrocystic Breasts in 2023
- 1.1 CYDREAM Women Post-Surgical Bra Zip Front
- 1.2 Playtex Women’s 18-Hour Silky Soft Smoothing Wireless Bra
- 1.3 Bali Comfort Revolution Wireless Bra
- 1.4 Warner’s Women’s Easy Does It Underarm-Smoothing Comfort Bra
- 1.5 Glamorise Women’s Full-Figure No-Bounce Wire-free Sports Bra
- 1.6 Fruit of the Loom Women’s Front Closure Cotton Bra
- 1.7 Calvin Klein Women’s Invisibles Comfort Seamless Bralette
- 1.8 Just My Size Women’s Pure Comfort Plus-Size Bra MJ1263
- 1.9 Kindred Bravely Extra-Soft Organic Cotton Sleep Bra
- 2 Conclusion
Best Bra for Fibrocystic Breasts in 2023
CYDREAM Women Post-Surgical Bra Zip Front
We love front-closure bras because they don’t require yoga moves to put on. If it has a zipper, all the better. The downside is that you have to get the right fit from the start and it won’t be as adjustable as a hook closure. Be sure to take your measurements and consult the brand’s size chart to prevent returns. It comes in sizes from small through XXX (42C).
This zip-front bra is recommended for women recovering from surgery and anyone with painful breasts. It has wide straps with a criss-cross back to distribute weight without putting pressure on the shoulders. Moreover, it’s wireless – there’s no underwire to put pressure on fibroids. Even the zipper has a pocket to tuck it out of sight and keep it closed. There’s enough support for low and medium-impact exercise.
What’s also nice is how the bra is contoured with padded side support. It’s designed to allow lymph fluid and blood to circulate properly and aid in recovery. Plus, the fabric is smooth and stretchy polyester/elastane. Although it’s hand-wash only, it air-dries in a few hours.
- Front-closure zippered bra in sizes small through XXX
- Wide criss-cross straps relieve pressure on shoulders
- Padded sides and no underwire smooth and support
- Hand-wash only
Playtex Women’s 18-Hour Silky Soft Smoothing Wireless Bra
Playtex makes affordable bras for women with fibrocystic breasts. This plus-sized bra is made of breathable, soft fabric that provides excellent support for hours on end. It comes in sizes from 36B to 48DDD.
The wireless bra has no pokey wires to press on sensitive skin. Instead, each cup sculpts, shapes, and holds the breasts in place with a 4-way support system. This includes a tall back and sides and wide, adjustable straps that don’t slide off shoulders.
The fabric is a nylon/spandex blend that’s hand-wash only if you want the bra to last. There’s only one downside. The cups are not padded but have two layers of fabric. Some reviewers noticed that the outer fabric looks wrinkled even though the inner cup fits properly, and it leaves impressions on clothing.
- Affordable, supportive, and breathable with no underwire
- Wide straps and tall back and sides
- Available in sizes up to 48DDD
- Bra cups may look wrinkled – double-check the fit
- Hand-wash only
Bali Comfort Revolution Wireless Bra
If you hate having side spillage and back rolls, this product is the solution. It uplifts cleavage in a natural shape and feels comfy all day long. The patented Cool Comfort fabric wicks moisture away from the skin, too.
Instead of an underwire, the cups have an ultra-thin layer of foam that stretches with the bra. In combination with the specially designed back with U-shaped adjustable straps, the bra moves with you, feeling like a second skin. In fact, it disappears under clothing because of the fused edges and flat seams.
Happily, the bra comes in a variety of colors and textures in sizes from 32B to 42DD. The only con is that it’s hand-wash only because the fabric is a nylon/spandex blend.
- Ultra-comfortable adjustable bra with no underwire
- Available in sizes from 32B to 42DD in various colors and textures
- Breathable and moisture-wicking spandex/nylon blend
- Hand-wash only
Warner’s Women’s Easy Does It Underarm-Smoothing Comfort Bra
Similar to the bra above, this one prevents side spillage (also known as side boobs). The design is comfortable for women with fibrocystic breasts because it doesn’t put pressure on the armpit or underneath the breasts. Even the cups are seamless.
Instead, the stretchy fabric conforms to the bust and shapes it without pinching or binding. Women with large breasts appreciate the wide straps, too.
Fortunately, even though this is a nylon/spandex blend, it’s machine-washable. Choose from various colors and sizes small to 3XL.
- Stretchy spandex/nylon blend that shapes without constricting
- Wide straps and seamless cups
- Available in different colors in sizes small to 3XL
- Several colors to choose from – it might be hard to decide which to get first
Glamorise Women’s Full-Figure No-Bounce Wire-free Sports Bra
Yes, there are plus-size wireless bras for fibrocystic breasts. This one is a sports bra for medium-impact exercise, but there’s no problem wearing it for everyday activities. It comes in several different colors in sizes 34C to 50J.
Furthermore, the polyester/polyamide blend is machine-washable and breathable. It wicks sweat away from the skin, and that’s a major benefit because this is a camisole design. It’s a full-coverage bra with three hook and eye closures and adjustable straps.
Reviewers say it’s easy to put on and the modest design makes it possible to wear without a T-shirt over top. On the downside, some reviewers found the straps and band scratchy.
- Machine-washable, moisture-wicking fabric
- Sizes from 34C to 50J in several colors
- Adjustable straps and band with a full-coverage camisole design
- Straps and band may feel scratchy on sensitive skin
Fruit of the Loom Women’s Front Closure Cotton Bra
What about a sleep bra for fibrocystic breasts? We like this cotton bra with six hook and eye closures in the front. It’s straightforward to put on and take off and a favorite choice of women who have had breast reconstruction and breast reduction surgery. Keep in mind that these are people who have doctor’s orders to wear a bra twenty-four hours a day with sensitive spots to protect.
No, it’s not a sports bra and won’t handle high-impact activities. However, it’s perfect for sleeping, running errands, and so forth even if you have large breasts. After all, it’s available in sizes from 32A to 48DDD in various colors.
There’s no underwire and the cups aren’t padded. The fabric is mostly cotton with a hint of spandex for stretch. Therefore, it’s machine-washable, lightweight, and very comfortable.
- Ideal for everyday activities and sleeping
- Lightweight support and protection during recovery from breast surgery
- Cotton and spandex fabric is breathable, comfy, and machine-washable
- Available in different colors in sizes from 32A to 48DDD
- No support for medium or high-impact exercise
Calvin Klein Women’s Invisibles Comfort Seamless Bralette
It would be nice if all bras were so lightweight that we could forget that we’re wearing them. This V-neck style bralette is thin yet supportive. It has removable pads that provide extra shaping if desired. Reviewers say it gives them a little cleavage yet looks invisible under clothing.
It’s the breathable microfiber with clean edges that makes the bra disappear. But if you want to show it off, it comes in a wide assortment of bold and delicate colors.
Sadly, the silky nylon/elastane material is hand-wash only. But it comes in sizes from 30A to 46C.
- Lightweight and silky, disappears under clothing
- Removable pads for extra support
- Breathable microfiber comes in a nice range of colors and sizes from 30A to 46C
- Hand-wash only
Just My Size Women’s Pure Comfort Plus-Size Bra MJ1263
Here’s another lightweight wireless bra that’s pleasant for sleeping. It keeps the girls in place without any hardware including hooks and clips. It comes in sizes from XL to 6X.
Of course, this means that it’s not adjustable (unless you don’t mind sewing – I tightened the straps on mine). All you have to do is pull it on and forget about it.
This is basically shapewear for your bust with light compression and four-way stretch to move with you. The fabric is a nylon/spandex blend that dries quickly and can be machine-washed. What’s more, the lining is seamless to avoid irritating nipples.
- Stretchy, lightweight, moisture-wicking fabric with 4-way stretch
- Seamless lining to prevent irritation
- Available in sizes from XL to 6X
- Not adjustable unless you’re willing to do alterations
Kindred Bravely Extra-Soft Organic Cotton Sleep Bra
Does it bother you to purchase garments manufactured overseas? It’s not just about supporting the economy stateside, but it’s also about foreign manufacturers treating their employees ethically. This brand has visited the facilities where its bras are made to ensure that the hard-working employees are treated fairly.
The brand has also decided to use organic cotton which isn’t manufactured with toxic chemicals. It’s one of the reasons why they recommend this bra to nursing mothers. It fits up to a G cup while the French Terry bra style is suitable for cup sizes up to I. You can also choose from “busty” or “regular” styles for more or less coverage.
Reviewers love the V-neck design and extra-soft cotton-spandex material. It’s an excellent pull-on bra for sleeping, daily wear, and recovery from procedures. The only downside is that it’s not adjustable.
It has a wide band to avoid putting pressure on the skin under the breasts and a snug fit without underwires. If you’re breastfeeding, all you have to do is pull aside the fabric for easy access. You can also slip in absorbent breast pads.
Choose from a variety of neutral colors in sizes from small to XXL.
- Cotton/spandex blend is machine-washable, breathable, and soft
- Wide band and straps relieve pressure
- Available in either busty or regular styles in a variety of colors in sizes from small to XXL
- Manufactured ethically overseas
- Not adjustable
Don’t put up with pain when you can relax with one of the best bras for fibrocystic breasts. We hope our reviews helped you find your new favorite bra today. If so, we’d love to hear about your experience with it. Please leave us a comment below.
1. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fibrocystic-breasts/symptoms-causes/syc-20350438 Fibrocystic Breasts, published June 23, 2021
2. https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/aftercareinformation/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=uf8006 Fibrocystic Breast Changes: Care Instructions, published February 11, 2021